History of Schuyler County Public Health
Community Health Assessment 1988
- 1854: Schuyler County formed by combining the towns of Tyrone and Orange from Steuben County; Dix , Catherine and Cayuta from Chemung and Hector from Tompkins.
- 1872: Watkins Board of Health started
- 1876: Dr. C. O. Clawson started the Bethesda Sanitarium in Montour Falls that featured Montour Magnetic spring water
- 1882: Town of Hector published and distributed laws on the registration of births, deaths and marriages.
- 1883: Westlake Sanitarium was founded
- 1887: Diphtheria Epidemic in Schuyler County
- 1889: Glenn Spring Sanitarium was started
- 1910: Jane Delano working hard for Nursing service in Schuyler County and American Red Cross
- 1923: Public Health Law: gave the counties in NYS the authority to establish a public health nursing service and receive state aid reimbursement
- 1926: First Public Health Nurse in Schuyler County: Miss Conley
- 1926: First Diphtheria immunization in Schuyler County
- 1936: Highest incidence of Tuberculosis deaths in Schuyler County 46.3/ 100,000 population
- 1937: Second Public Health Nurse position established
- 1940: Watkins Glen had a cold epidemic
- 1941: Flu epidemic in Schuyler County
- 1943: Emergency Public Health Nursing squad was organized in Schuyler County
- 1944: Schuyler County Chapter of the National Foundation for the infantile paralysis organized.
- 1945: Tompkins County implements Rabies Control program and mass vaccination rabies clinic.
- 1946: After World War II , Public Health Nurse Week recognized by Harry Truman
- 1947: Chest XRAY and Immunization Clinic and Cancer Control Unit in Schuyler County.
- 1952: First Community Mental Hygiene clinic for Schuyler County.
- 1953: Schuyler County recognizes Jane Delano’s efforts.
- 1954: First Public Health Nurse hired directly by the county.
- 1955: 455 First, Second Grade Pupils given Anti-Polio Vaccine Shots by volunteers.
- 1955: Well Baby Clinic established in Montour Falls and Watkins Glen
- 1957: Low temperature readings for January 1957
- 1966: Nursing Service Charges for Home Visits, and administration of measles vaccine started
- 1967: Starting of oral polio vaccine.
- 1967: Start of Medicare Program
- 1969: Beginning of Head Start Program
- 1970: Free Rubella vaccine.
- 1972: County Rock festival; threat of hepatitis and increase of venereal disease
- 1976: Swine Flu immunization program started
- 1978: Licensing of dogs; rabies vaccination requirement
- 1979: Health Survey conducted and award given to Judy Phillips
- 1987: DPT Vaccine
- 1988: Institute of Medicine published an assessment of the US public health system titled, “The Future of Public Health”. It described the network of county, state and national public health as being in “disarray” and prompted a national discussion about the state of public health in the county. The ten essential services of public health.
- 1988: New York State’s Community Health Assessment law put into effect
- 1997: Mill Creek Center built and opened to public, merging of Mental Health and Public Health support staff
- 1998: Child Care Council active in the community to identify services for children with disabilities
- 2000: West Nile Virus shows up in Schuyler County. Flu vaccines distributed by Schuyler County Public Health
- 2002: Attack of the Twin Towers in NYC; Schuyler County Health Department moves to Mill Creek Center from County Building, release of walking trail maps “Heart Healthy Trail” and Public Health Law for rabies clinics started.
- 2003: Public Health workers get small pox vaccine
- 2004: “Reality Check” battles big tobacco and first health drill conducted. Schuyler Hospital cuts home health service. Nutrition, Obesity, Poverty and Education in Schuyler County: Connecting the Dots, put on by Cornell and Cornell Cooperative Extension
- 2005: Information about lead testing for infants in press.
- 2006: Largest post exposure treatment for Rabies with Hidden Valley Campers.
- 2009: Schuyler Steps Out Program starts
- 2010: Public Health donates playground to HEAD start.
- 2011: Public Health privatizes Home Health Agency.
- 2015: 3rd Emergency Drill, Revised Heart Healthy Trail Maps